Saturday 13 March 2021

I'm not even a fucking feminist.

Observing the nasty but unsurprising scenes from Clapham Common I find myself reminded of the most life altering gig I never attended. 

Back in 2009 Take That played a gig in Hampden Park. I didn't go because I was never a fan, though I did quite like that one they did with Lulu. Anyway it was quite an event for ladies of a certain age and as far as I can tell a good time was had by all. 

2009 was a year when I had the remarkable job related perk of taking taxis on account. This meant taxis on an almost daily basis, it also meant being spoken at by taxi drivers which was quite the education. The week following the Take That gig was outstanding. Those poor drivers on duty had witnessed drunk women being quite rowdy, vomiting, singing badly and pissing all around poor sacred Hampden. It did all sound a bit rough and unpleasant.

However I couldn't help but think of the times I opened my close door or went out to the bins only to pissed at by a furious football fan. Or all the times I was woken up by their drunken roaring or those hilarious times they set fire to a bin whilst punching a bus stop. None of the Take That fans behaviour as described to me resembled that joyous and uplifting incident where I stepped on to a bus only to be dragged off by tardy football enthusiasts who felt more entitled to a place on the crowded bus than I was. I haven't even started on the fun of the "marching season" yet and I won't because it's just variations of the above.

Yet I have no recollection of taxi drivers or anyone beyond the old women at the bus stop expressing much outrage about any of that. I can't begin to imagine why that might be. Well I can but for a whole host of exciting reasons I am not a feminist. I do have a keen eye for obvious injustice though and it's increasingly hard to escape drawing the conclusion that women aren't valued all that much beyond their careers. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment